Southampton BIA Board Meeting Minutes – March 2019

Board Meeting: 18 March 2019, Southampton BIA Office.

Dave Park and Gerald Guenkel from the Southampton Arts Centre Board of Management presented the Board’s intention to improve the visibility of the Art Gallery and School with signage on the Southampton Town Hall.
Jayne Jagelewski at the Town requested that the SAC obtain support from Town Hall key stakeholders including; the Southampton BIA, The Chamber of Commerce and the Bruce County Playhouse before the Town would approve any project.
The SAC Board requests the support of the Southampton BIA for improved Southampton Arts Centre signage on the Town Hall.
Handouts were circulated with new signage ideas and mock ups.

1. IN ATTENDANCE:
Dave Rudell, Justin Niklaus, Bruce Martin, Paul Schendel, Chris Robinson, Heather Hyde
Regrets: John Rich, Carolyn Grainger-Wilson

2. CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 11:24 a.m.

3. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA:
Southampton Arts Centre request for support of new signage initiative.

4. DECLARATION OF PECUNIARY INTEREST:
None declared.

5. ADOPTION OF MINUTES:
That the minutes of the February 25, 2019 meeting, there being no errors, omissions or corrections, be adopted.

Moved by: Bruce Martin
Seconded by: Justin Niklaus

6. CHAIR REPORT:
Dave noted that motions submitted during a Board meeting must be written.
Dave provided updates from the Chamber’s Tourism Advisory Committee:
Proposed Chamber Event Changes:
– No longer organizing Community Tree Lightings.
– Brass Awards every 2 years (If continued)
– One Santa Claus Parade per year (alternating Port & South).

Proposed Trolley changes:
– Advertising opportunities: $1,500 a week to sponsor a trolley stop.
– Reduced hours for 2019: 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
– Long Weekend Hours: Until 9:00 p.m.
– Fare will be $5/per person with hop on/off privileges for the day.
– Southampton Route modifications: Addition of a stop at corner of South & Huron
– No tour guides, potential recording instead.

Heather will email Ian Trotman, chair of the Trolley committee for information on advertising opportunities.
Dave would like to meet with the Chamber regarding the Southampton Tourism Office.
RTO7 has a matching program for off season events. Minimum investment from the organization is $1,000. Kim Clarke is the contact for the program.

Discussion around Associate Membership best practices. Heather will create a report with recommendations regarding a SBIA associate memberships to present at the next Board meeting.

Bruce and Dave met with Linda and Dan at the Town regarding a BIA levy increase for 2020. Dave noted that the Board will need to put together a proposal to present to council for approval.

Linda White has corrected the BIA by-law error of “Port Elgin” instead of “Southampton”.

Dave cited items brought to him by BIA members:
– Concerns regarding the removal of centre block delivery/loading
– Concerns regarding the closing of High Street for Gran Fondo
– Request for free Wifi Downtown

7. CHAIR MEETING:
The minutes from the Chair meeting on March 1st were reviewed.

8. TREASURER REPORT:
The treasurer’s report was presented by Bruce.
Paul inquired about creating a policy for the approved use of surplus funds and establishing a minimum balance.

9. GRANTS:
Heather recommended that the BIA Board visit the 5 new owners/tenants on High Street with welcome packages and information from the Spruce the Bruce Grant Program for façade improvements. Heather and Justin will coordinate a time to make the visits.
Dave followed-up with Robin Hilborn from the 150th Legacy Committee regarding the $73,000 in funding available for Southampton heritage projects. Dave will meet with Robin to discuss further opportunities to use the funds.

10. PROMOTIONS/SPECIAL EVENTS COMMITTEE:
The Promotion meeting minutes from March 8th, 2019 were reviewed.

11. STREETSCAPE COMMITTEE:
The Streetscape meeting minutes from March 4th, 2019 were reviewed, including two motions made by the committee.
1. The Committee moves that the BIA purchase the items outlined in the Bruce Power Community Investment Grant Application submitted September 2018 and awarded February 2019 for $13,000.

2. The Committee recommends that the BIA Board strike an Adhoc committee for the spending opportunities provided by the $24,000 Main Street Grant Funding available from the Town.
Motion to accept The Streetscape Committee minutes and motions of March 4th, 2019 as presented.
Moved by: Chris Robinson
Seconded by: Bruce Martin

Dave reviewed the information received from Amanda Froese and Linda White at the Town regarding considerations for the JMA proposal.

12. OTHER BUSINESS
The Board supports the Southampton Arts Centre’s new signage initiative. Heather will draft a letter of support for the Board Chair, Dave Park.
Dave and Chris presented their letter to council regarding the Town’s current Tax Rebate Policies. Heather will send the letter to Linda White for addition to the next council meeting agenda.

The BIA has been invited to appoint a member of the Board to sit on the Town’s Accessibility Committee, which will meet the first Wednesday of every month. Justin Niklaus expressed interest in attending and will represent the Board at these meetings.

13. NEXT MEETING DATE
The next BIA Board meeting is Monday, April 15th, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. in the BIA office.

14. ADJOURNMENT
Moved by: Paul Schendel
Seconded by: Bruce Martin

The meeting was adjourned at 1:00 p.m