Southampton BIA Board Meeting Minutes – September 2017

Board Meeting: September 19, 2017,  Southampton BIA Office

1. IN ATTENDANCE:
Melanie Myers, Sue Palethorpe, Mary Lou Hills, Susan Dollar, Bruce Martin, Don Hart, Don Matheson, Heather Hyde

2. CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m.

3. DECLARATION OF PECUNIARY INTEREST:
None declared.

4. ADOPTION OF MINUTES:
Moved by: Don Hart
Seconded by: Sue Palethorpe

That the minutes of the August 15, 2017 meeting, there being no errors, omissions or corrections, be adopted.

5. TREASURER’S REPORT
The street furniture budget was discussed. Bike racks need to be purchased to supplement the existing bike racks. The Streetcape Committee will pursue this – preparing an inventory of what we have and to identify what we need.

6. STREETSCAPE COMMITTEE
Mary Lou Hills is awaiting a quote for the flowers for next year from Saugeen District Secondary School and will report back once it is received.
The Streetscape Committee will investigate concrete benches for the gateways.
Susan Dollar contacted the Town’s Community Services Department regarding the lamp posts on High Street and the Southampton banners that were not put up this past year. She will follow up on this later.
Bruce Martin gave an update on Westario Power. There are challenges with getting power from Leeder Lane to High Street. Bruce will be following up with the Town.

7. MARKETING PLAN PRESENTATION
Heather Hyde presented a marketing outline with two objectives: (1) increasing brand awareness in neighbouring communities (not competing with Bruce County’s
out-market concentration) and (2) marketing Southampton as a destination for locals to shop and dine in the shoulder seasons.
Heather is expecting to hear back from graphic designers regarding quotes for development of a logo design for the Southampton BIA. One firm has responded to date.
The Market Place magazine and the Paisley Advocate, Grey Bruce Boomer and Facebook are possibilities for marketing Southampton. Heather will investigate and report back at our next meeting.
Business to Bruce will now focus on Southampton as well as Port Elgin in its promotional piece.
The board will make a decision on implementing the marketing outline at the next board meeting.

8. PROMOTIONS/SPECIAL EVENTS COMMITTEE
The details are in the agenda.

9. MEMBERSHIP SUB-COMMITTEE PROPOSAL
Other BIA’s have membership sub-committees to track the membership database, deliver welcome packages, track milestones, plan an annual membership social to acknowledge milestones and set in place an associate membership policy. This might be something to implement in the new year.

10. OTHER BUSINESS
“Scenes of Southampton” Photo Contest
Participants will submit their photos, title, location where the photo was taken, and name of the photographer. The contest will run from Dec 31st to May 31st, 2018. A prize structure was discussed. $100 for the grand prize winner – to encourage amateur photographers only. There will be 9 runners-up who will get a photo credit and their photo displayed in prominent locations in the Town. Looking for $500 for advertising and $1,000 for framing and printing. All photos will be the property of the BIA. A six person committee (Don Hart, Don Matheson, Mary Lou Hills, Susan Dollar, Heather Hyde, and Jenny O’Reilly) was formed.

Moved by: Mary Lou Hills
Seconded by: Sue Palethorpe. Carried.
That the Southampton BIA allocate the sum of $1,500.00 for its “Scenes of Southampton” photo contest.

Wi-Fi
Mary Lou Hills delivered an update on the Bruce Telecom wi-fi project. The aerials have to be on the north side of High Street due to fibre optics. The centre block would get one aerial and the other two blocks would get one aerial. Data can be capped to prevent abuse of the system. There is no information about monthly fees. Partnerships were discussed (the Town, Spruce the Bruce, etc.) The start-up cost is $25,000.00 to $35,000.00 for the centre block.
Portable units are a less expensive option – these could perhaps be used for special events.
Heather Hyde will look into this and report back
Town Hall Library Project
Council will be discussing the proposal for the Town Hall project at its next meeting.
November 4th is the 40th anniversary of the Southampton Coliseum. There are special events planned including a hockey game and a party at the Town Hall afterwards.
The commemorative flags will be put up soon on High Street.

13. NEXT MEETING DATE
The next regular Board meeting will be Tuesday October 17, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at the BIA Office.

14. ADJOURNMENT
Moved by: Don Matheson
Seconded by: Don Hart

The meeting was adjourned at 8:03 p.m.