Southampton BIA Board Meeting Minutes – January 2018

Board Meeting: 16 January 2018, Southampton BIA Office

1. IN ATTENDANCE:
Melanie Myers, Mary Lou Hills, Sue Palethorpe, Bruce Martin, Susan Dollar, Don Matheson, Heather Hyde.
Absent: Don Hart

2. CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 6:32 p.m.

3. DECLARATION OF PECUNIARY INTEREST:
None declared.

4. ADOPTION OF MINUTES:
Moved by: Don Matheson
Seconded by: Sue Palethorpe

That the minutes of the December 19, 2017 meeting, there being no errors, omissions or corrections, be adopted.

6. STREETSCAPE COMMITTEE
Mary Lou Hills delivered a report from the Streetscape Committee. There have been two resignations from committee members. More members are needed for the Streetscape Committee.
The Streetscape Committee wants to have a meeting with the Town prior to the AGM to review the Town’s plans for the East block of High Street in 2018.
Gateway signs – Bruce spoke to Town staff regarding gateway signs for downtown.

7. PROMOTIONS/SPECIAL EVENTS COMMITTEE
There is one new volunteer for the Special Events Committee.

8. SCENES OF SOUTHAMPTON
Heather provided an update on the photo contest. Approximately 100 photos submitted and 23 have so far been selected. The next meeting for the Scenes of Southampton Committee will be on January 30th, 2018. It is expected that the winners will be announced in late March.

9. AGM PLANNING
Finger foods are going to be ordered. Heather has prepared a list of individuals to invite to the AGM and has requested RSVP’s
Notice of AGM will be published in the Shoreline Beacon.
Fall elections of the new board were discussed. The date of Tuesday November 6, 2018 has been chosen for elections. A Nominating Committee will be struck and further information about the nomination process will be distributed at a later date.
The agenda for the AGM is as follows:
Intro/Welcome
Approval of Minutes.
Budget
Streetscape Committee Report
Promotions/Special Events Committee Report
Election of new board
Social time
Scenes of Southampton slides will be on the projector.

OTHER BUSINESS:
Luke Charbonneau and Cheryl Grace are planning a resolution to Council to recognize Pride 2018 in early June. Melanie will contact Luke Charbonneau to get more details of the planned resolution and what type of BIA involvement is contemplated by Council.
Bruce Martin spoke with the owner of a vacant property on High Street. The owner seemed receptive to the BIA putting promotional wrapping in his windows. Mylar could be put on the glass. [Note: Subsequent to the meeting a review of the Municipal Act confirmed that the BIA does not have the authority to expend funds on private property].
The BIA must continue to encourage the municipality to deal with derelict storefronts.

10. NEXT MEETING DATE:
The next meeting will be the AGM on Tuesday February 20, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. at the Southampton Legion. The next regular meeting date will be March 20, 2018.

11. ADJOURNMENT
Moved by: Don Matheson
Seconded by: Mary Lou Hills

The meeting was adjourned at 7:38 p.m.