Southampton BIA Board Meeting Minutes – January 2017

Board Meeting: January 17, 2017, Southampton BIA Office
1. IN ATTENDANCE:
Melanie Myers, Mary Lou Hills, Sue Palethorpe, Don Hart, Susan Dollar, Heather Hyde
Regrets: Bruce Martin, Don Matheson
2. CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 6:39 p.m.
3. DECLARATION OF PECUNIARY INTEREST:
None declared.
4. ADOPTION OF MINUTES:
Moved by: Sue Palethorpe
Seconded by: Don Hart

That the minutes of the November 15th, 2016 meeting, there being no errors, omissions or corrections, be adopted.
5. BUSINESS ARISING FROM MINUTES
None.
6. TREASURER REPORT
Heather circulated the 2016 budget to the Board. Some of the amounts from the Town ledger do not reconcile with the BIA amounts. This may be due to the taxes deducted at Town level. The final numbers will need to be reconciled before the AGM in February, therefore Melanie will contact Sue Dent to find out how the Town enters expenses and calculates the taxes. Going forward reconciling the numbers from the BIA and the Town will happen on a regular basis, preferably monthly. Sue requested that the Town send a detailed monthly report to the BIA gmail account, so that the Board can have access to the most up to date numbers. Melanie noted that the Board should also have duplicate hard copies of every invoice filed for reference.
There’s been some back and forth about the amounts paid for benches and planters by the BIA and the Town. Melanie will contact Sue Dent to ensure that the $4,800 pledged by the Town for benches was received, as it does not appear in the beautification ledger, as well as request detailed ledgers from each account.
The surplus amount for 2016 was given to Mary Lou by the Town as $21,873.24. Please note that this is the same amount as the 2015 surplus.
The question of whether the Board would like to present the 2017 Budget to council was raised. The Board agrees that it would be beneficial to present to council at least once a year to show the BIA’s investment in the community, especially given the upcoming streetscape initiatives.
The new Requisition and Expenses Form was circulated. Heather will email the Board the electronic version of the form. It was recommended that hard copies of the completed forms be filed and sent electronically to the Treasurer.
As the Treasurer is not present Melanie will follow-up with Bruce to discuss all of the above.
7. STREETSCAPE REPORT
Mary Lou contacted the Town regarding the streetscape plan and is waiting to hear back.
Funds have been allocated for new bows for the 34 wreaths that decorate the downtown at Christmas. Heather will gather quotes for the new bows and ad them to the agenda for the Holiday wrap up meeting.
8. SPECIAL EVENTS
The Holiday wrap up meeting has been scheduled for January 31st. So far only 3 members have RSVP’d. Melanie will visit the businesses downtown this week to gather feedback and see if there are anymore businesses willing to participate. We may consider postponing the meeting to get a better turnout.
Sue suggested that in lieu of a meeting perhaps the Board could conduct a survey to gain feedback from the members on the 2016 Holiday season.
9. AGM DATE
The date for the Annual General Meeting of the Southampton BIA will be Tuesday, February 21st, 2017 from 6:30p.m. – 8:00p.m. Location TBD
Sue suggested the Legion as a possible location and will contact them to see if it’s available for the AGM.
The notice for the AGM will be in the January 24th, Shoreline Beacon. Heather will confirm this year’s AGM details with the paper.
Heather and Melanie will find a projector and screen for the AGM presentations.
AGM Draft Agenda
– 2016 in Review
– 2016 Statement
– 2017 Budget
– Streetscape Presentation (Mary Lou will see if the Town can speak.)
– 2016 Member Survey Results
The Board has scheduled the next meeting for Thursday, February 2nd at 6:30 p.m. in the BIA office to prepare for the upcoming AGM as well as approve the 2016 AGM and January Board meeting minutes.
10. SURVEY RESULTS
Heather presented the findings from the 2016 Member Survey conducted in October and will circulate the results to the members at the AGM. Some of the findings will be highlighted along with the 2017 Budget during the presentation to Council.
11. ECONOMIC ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The committee has hired Jessica Linthorne as Community Development Officer. The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 14th.
12. OTHER BUSINESS
The Chambettes would like to know the 2017 Southampton Sparkles date as they want to avoid overlap with their home show. Melanie noted that this is a question for the members and suggested that the Board wait for the formal letter from the Chambettes before moving forward.
Brad Smith from Tourist Town dropped off the 2017 Port Elgin Winter Guide to Mary Lou. Brad suggested that a Southampton edition could be in the works and that he would be talking to interested businesses. The Port Elgin Guide was facilitated by Spruce the Bruce, the Port Elgin BIA and 20 Downtown Port Elgin merchants. 6,000 copies were printed and 3,800 were mailed, the target market was Port Elgin.
13. NEXT MEETING DATE
The next meeting will be the AGM Tuesday, February 21st, 2017 at 6:30p.m. in the Town Hall Auditorium.
14. ADJOURNMENT
Moved by: Don Hart
Seconded by: Sue Palethorpe

That the meeting be adjourned at 8:15 p.m.